"We are at the dawn of a new consciousness, a radically fresh approach to our life as the human family in a fragile world. This birth into a new awareness, into a new set of historical circumstances, appears in a number of shift in our understanding.
1. The emergence of ecological awareness and sensitivity to the natural organic world, with an acknowledgement of the basic fragility of the earth.
2. A growing sense of the rights of other species.
3. A recognition of the interdependence of all domains of life and reality.
4. The ideal of abandoning a militant nationalism as a result of this tangible sense of our essential interdependence.
5. A deep, evolving experience of community between and among the religions through their individual members.
6. The growing receptivity to the inner treasures of the world's religions.
7. An openness to the cosmos, with the realization that the relationship between humans and the earth is part of the larger community of the universe"
The Mystic Heart, Wayne Teasdale